While there are many questions about whether or not cleaning air ducts is necessary, the answer is no, but they should be cleaned. Many property owners who have used an air duct cleaning service, such as American air ducts, have been pleased with the results, noticing a significant improvement in indoor air quality. How often should I have air duct cleaning in my texas home?
Experts and the National Air Duct Cleaners Association strongly advise us to have them cleaned every 3 – 5 years. However, the number of pets and how much they shed, the age of the air ducts, and the number of allergens outside all depend on the circumstances. It can also include a variety of other factors, but the ones listed above will have the most significant influence.
THE REQUIREMENT FOR CLEAN AIR DUCTS
Despite the general recommendation of every 3 – 5 years, you should be aware of the following signs that they should be cleaned:
- Insects, rodents, or vermin infest the home and enter through the air supply and return registers.
- When you turn on the HVAC system, dust shoots out of the registers.
- You discover visible mold on the air ducts.
- Remove the air vent from the floor or ceiling and inspect the ducts for black debris to determine when they need to be cleaned. This indicates that dust has been continuously recycled through the system and should be removed as soon as possible.
- When changing your HVAC filter, you may notice a buildup of dust on the system itself.
THE BENEFITS OF AIR DUCT CLEANING
Cleaning air ducts has several advantages, particularly for those who suffer from severe allergy and asthma complications. Here is the complete list of advantages:
- Improving indoor air quality by filtering out dust, pollen, and other allergens
- Cleaning dust from household surfaces
- Relieving the symptoms of asthma and allergies
- Making it possible for the dryer to run more efficiently
- Saving money on electricity
- Increasing the efficiency of heating and cooling
HOW OFTEN SHOULD AIR DUCTS BE CLEANED
Air ducts should be cleaned every 3 to 5 years, depending on whether there are pets, home remodeling projects, or moving into a new home, among other factors. Even if the air ducts were cleaned less than three years ago, some circumstances would warrant another professional duct cleaning. These include everything listed below:
- Following the construction of a new home. While everything appears brand new or like new, debris such as sawdust, drywall dust, and other allergens are most likely clogging the duct.
- Following a remodeling project. Even if the remodeling was limited to a single room, the air register in that room is likely to pull debris from the air and disperse it throughout the property. Before turning on the HVAC system, it’s best to have it cleaned professionally.
- Following the purchase of a home. Regardless of the previous owner’s claim, you never know what they did with the house. If you haven’t seen their statement in the last three years, it’s best to make another appointment just in case.
- There are pets in the house. No matter how much our dog or cat sheds, many of us would never give them up. However, with a furry friend in the house, cleaning must be done more frequently.
HOW TO SELECT A RESPONSIBLE COMPANY
Despite what many companies claim, their services are a scam, with a full cleaning costing only $50. While the price appears appealing, it is too good to be true. They are frequently less reputable, unlicensed, and not recommended by the National Air Duct Cleaners Association. Always search best home vent cleaning near me whenever you’re going to hire any company.
The following are the characteristics of a reputable air duct cleaning company:
- It takes 2-4 hours to complete the task. If a service claims to be able to complete it in under one hour, they are most likely lying.
- A reputable air duct cleaning service will charge between $400 and $1,000 to clean the ducts. This includes using professional cleaning equipment and HEPA filters to clean all components, including air registers, air coils, furnaces, drip pans, grilles and diffusers, and more.
- A reliable service will also employ powerful, truck-mounted vacuum systems to draw dirt and debris from the ducts into the tank.
American Air Ducts
American air ducts is a reputable name in Pearland, TX, despite numerous offers of $50 and $75 air duct cleaning. We meet all of the above criteria, but our professionals will tell you the truth and show you if you have a bigger problem than just dirty ducts.
If you have a problem, we can also perform additional cleaning, such as removing mold from the HVAC system. If you notice that your air ducts need to be cleaned, please give us a call. We offer free estimates!
Air Duct Cleaning Methods
Since the early 1900s, air duct cleaning services have been available. There have been numerous changes in technologies and industry standards over the years. Air duct cleaning methods have improved the quality and safety of the cleaning process. Before agreeing to have your air ducts cleaned, you should educate yourself on the various air duct cleaning methods.
Dust and other particle debris tend to adhere to or statically cling to the interior of air ducts. Two key elements are required for source removal:
Methods for Cleaning Air Ducts
Cleaning Steam Air Ducts:
Steam Air Duct Cleaning methods use a wand that delivers high temperature and high-pressure steam to agitate debris from the walls of the air ducts while the air ducts are drawn into negative pressure by a vacuum.
Steam cleaning and other moisture-based methods should not be used on any type of ductwork. Modern HVAC components rely heavily on electronic components to function correctly; introducing moisture will damage system components.
Cleaning with a Truck Mounted Vacuum:
Truck-mounted vacuum methods use a vacuum powered by the PTO shaft of a moving vehicle. The volume of air drawn is the basis for truck-mounted vacuum cleaning technology. The truck-mounted vacuum typically draws between 10,000 and 15,000 cubic feet of air per minute. From the truck, a vacuum hose is connected to the trunk lines of the ventilation system. While the ventilation system is vacuumed, rotary brushes or airlines are inserted into air vent registers to agitate debris to the collection point.
While truck-mounted and gas-powered vacuums were once widely used for air duct cleaning, industry professionals are moving away from them due to the high risk of cross-contamination. Are you worried about duct cleaning? Read our guide on should you have the air ducts in your home cleaned? While in operation, truck-mounted vacuums draw vehicle exhaust and debris into the surrounding air. American air ducts are the well-known duct cleaning services in Pearland. For more information, call them at 866-373-3828.