Inside a chimney, creosote is one of the most harmful substances. Yet, when you light a fire in your fireplace, it automatically builds up. There are methods you may do to reduce the formation and impact of creosote, a highly combustible black tar-like substance. You should also be aware of the signs that your creosote problem has gotten out of hand.
What Is Creosote, and What Is It Used For?
This thick substance forms during the combustion process, although it is more likely to form if the wood isn’t entirely burned. When the fire isn’t given adequate oxygen, it burns incompletely. Vapor rises up the chimney with the other combustion byproducts, and when it cools and condenses, it may become trapped inside the flue. Because creosote is very combustible, it increases the risk of a chimney fire.
Creosote Symptoms and Diagnosis
We recommend calling a chimney sweep for an inspection and cleaning once or twice a year, whether or not there is a significant accumulation of creosote in the chimney. However, simply to assess how serious the condition is, you might want to check for creosote buildup.
Get your materials together. Put on a face mask and goggles, and get your flashlight and fireplace poker ready.
Make sure it’s not dangerous. First, verify if there is a downdraft. If you stick your hand in the fireplace, you’ll see that the air is rising, not falling. To adjust the pressure in the home if there is a downdraft, open a window or door.
Make use of your poker for the fireplace. Check for creosote in the smoke chamber above your damper. It’s time to call a chimney sweep Houston specialist right away, even if the tar layer appears to be quite thin. Do not use the chimney until it is clean, if there is more than 1/8 of an inch of buildup.
Let the light shine. Examine the firebox and flue as high as feasible.